Tuesday, December 11, 2007

papercranes


If you've never heard this group, you must check them out. To quote Satellite mag's review, "Rain Phoenix's sweetly organic and ethereal voice guides Gainesville's indigenous papercranes' album, Vidalia, over beautifully painted landscapes and out into the spaciest corners of the music's final frontier." "a modern sonic Monet".
I just love them.
I lived in Gainesville for a time when my ex was going to UF. It seemed an average college town surrounded by little redneck hamlets. I went to nursing school just south of there in Ocala. I totally loved living there and miss it a lot. People were a lot more laid back in FL than here in NC. and generally a lot more open minded. dont get me wrong, I'm appreciative to be able to provide a low crime area with good values for my kids to grow up in, but one of the 2 seem to be gravitating towards the right and buying into what he hears around him. I grew up under similar circumstances and know the perils of that. It took me nearly 40 years to get my head right from growing up in a part of the country overrun with judgemental evangelical fanatics. And here I am raising my kids close to home. Not a well thought out plan, eh?
Sometimes it's hard to know just how narrowminded people are til you spend a little time with them and they start to say things. Although some hide it down much deeper or they don't even realize that there is another way of thinking ....
Well, off that tangent now....I've returned to crocheting and am currently working on yet another scarf, with some yarn I bought just because I like it, with no real project in mind for it. It's a soft novelty yarn in green with little bits of other bright colors. I actually used it recently to ply some handspun yarn that I'll be listing on www.wildblackberries.etsy.com soon.
I thought it'd be great for some mittens and it was not til after starting that project that I discovered that in order to be able to see past the poofiness to see the stitches, it has to be too loose a stitch to work for mittens. I needed to crochet last night at my girl's practice, so I started a scarf. It would be really helpful if I would take note of the gauge and hook size on projects, but I don't. I am so instruction reading impaired that I just usually wing it anyhow. sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

No comments: